Sunday, August 1, 2010

Motivation for the story: Rebirth after Destruction

Since I was an eyewitness of the tragic events in New York City on September 11, 2001, the heartbreaking moments were the motivation to write the book.


On the afternoon of that tragic day, I was walking on the empty Fifth Avenue, in the city that never sleeps, now only a ghost town. The beautiful weather and still warm sunshine were full of sadness. It was as if the tender sunshine was gently welcoming the thousands and thousands of souls died on that day. In the warm of late summer, I was cold, so cold…

As so many others, the events blocked me for a week in New York. After the tragedy, slowly, life returned in New York. When some days later, I was standing on the same place, looking to the truck transporting the firefighters and steelworkers with exhausted faces, in the middle of the usual jump traffic, I felt that life took over.

'Life is always taking over,' I thought.

Rebirth after destruction, the survival and the strengthening of our basic values, these are the principal elements of the novel.

No comments: